Substance

Substance

Monday, October 4, 2010

Finding our place

Happy Monday all! This weekend was much better than last! Friday, after our Doctor appointment we went walking around Noblesville and had dinner at a small brewery. We went to go see the "facebook movie" too. Saturday night, I got to get out and hang with awesome, intelligent, funny ladies. Sunday, D and I went to our first church here in Indy, our first church service together.

D and I are not religious people, but I believe that I need to be focusing more on religion and faith. Previously, all my endeavors with having a relationship with God began with a tragedy. God had blessed us with each other, a child, He had plans for us we didn't even know about and I’m excited to find what else He has planned for us. He has already created something so wonderful and we both want to honor Him and teach our daughter about God and Jesus.

D wanted to wear his Manning jersey and I told him he couldn't wear that to church, when we arrived, nearly half the congregation was in jerseys. Next week, he can wear his jersey.

We both liked the church, it was contemporary, there were a good amount of young people and families with babies and I felt we could fit our family into this church. We were invited to sign up and they would inform us of the next welcome class. I liked that I didn't feel uncomfortable about our "sinning," (I was raised Catholic) the member asked if it was safe to assume I was with child, of course I told him yes after joking about weight gain.

I'm not sure if we're going to explore other churches, we both felt comfortable and enjoyed the sermon, the one turn off was pushing the tithe. Next week, 10/10/10 they explained there were going to focus on tithing (10% of earnings given to the church). We appreciated the heads up. We're okay with discussing that for a week or two, but hoping this church WON'T focus on tithing all the time.

How did you find a place of worship with your significant other? Did you change religions?

4 comments:

  1. For us it was simple - the U is Catholic and I didn't grow up religious. Before we were engaged I decided to convert for both myself, and because I knew how important it was to the U. I must admit, though, we have totally slacked in church attendance since we got married TWO YEARS AGO. I'm still not a fervent follower, so that doesn't help the situation much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you guys go to church? I'm trying to remember if you're the person I recently recommended my church to. I know SOMEONE in the blogoshere asked me about churches in Noblesville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was raised Mormon, but now I'm pretty much nothing. Agnostic, I suppose. I'm all for other people doing whatever though :)
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. B had weird religions growing up (at one time they didn't celebrate any Christian holidays, but celebrated Jewish holidays, but weren't Jewish. Seriously.) It just so happened we ended up at Presbyterian church here, which is what I grew up with. We haven't been in FOREVER since I've been working so much, but I just LOVE IT!

    Le sigh... we really gotta hang out soon. You should go baby clothing shopping with me and I can get you my discount!

    ReplyDelete