Substance

Substance

Monday, September 27, 2010

God gave me a baby first

This past weekend was supposed to be wonderful, romantic, D and I's FIRST wedding together. It was not at all what I hoped, planned or prepared myself for. I was hurt, angry, telling a drunk lady at the bar to STFU (telling me I was going to have my baby early because of stress), sad, depressed, crying, ugly cry and even as my cousin wed the love of his life, more ugly cry. I hope I didn't ruin their wedding pictures.

D did not come to the rehearsal (I was a bridesmaid), he was not at the ceremony, he did not attend the reception and I was preparing myself to leave Indy in disbelief that at 27years old I had allowed myself to get in this predicament. I am honest, too honest for my own good sometimes, I feel my 8 readers need to know, we are on thin ice. I am not sure if/how I will discuss the details of the argument/issue, but two people can do A LOT of talking over the 4.5 hour drive back to Indy. Today we are beginning to do the doing.

I spent Saturday morning, getting my hair did and crying. Looking at myself in the mirror and wondering for the thousand time in my life why I was not good, pretty, worthy enough, why this continues to happen to me and what on earth am I going to do with no job, lots of bills and 9 weeks until baby came. My Aunt took me outside to talk.

She would send me cards in the mail "just because," on one of those cards she wrote:

'You deserve a love so great because you give love so great, don't settle.'

We talked about that, I cried, she listened... I turned my phone off and wanted to enjoy this day. Getting ready, I decided no more tears, I was putting my make up on and would be damned if I had to redo it. My mom told me he sent her a text asking me to call him, I did not. I was busy.

Tears continued, I'd have my moments, think I was strong and then something like trying to buckle my shoes would set me off (my feet are so swollen I couldn't do it myself). I cried, more like sobbed, nearly all through the ceremony. I didn't know how I would be able to make it through the day, all the family there and D not in attendance.

When the wedding party stopped at a bar, I was sitting with the ring bearer and the inquisitive flower girl. She kept looking at my belly and asking questions, then she asked THE QUESTION: "Are you married?" I kept it together, replied, then of course the follow up "Are you going to get married?" I responded 'someday' feeling the tears welling up in my eyes.

I needed to change the subject, kids like to know why you're crying... Before I could think of something, she stated "So, God gave you a baby first." So innocent, so wide eyed, so simple. 'Yes, yes, God gave me a baby first.'

I didn't shed one more tear the rest of the day.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this - especially while pregnant. I always remember, things really do happen for a reason, whether or not we see that at the time. I'm not really sure how else to make you feel better - but I'm here to listen anytime! Keep your chin up, you're going to have a beautiful baby before you know it and everything will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I hate to hear that you guys are having troubles, but I know that if this relationship is what God intends for you, it will happen. It won't be perfect, and if it's anything like MY marriage, at times you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking. It'll be hard, but if it's meant to be, it's worth the hard.

    I agree with your aunt, though. DON'T SETTLE. Life is very, very long if you're unhappy. Do what's right for you AND your baby, and choose what makes you happy.

    God gave me a baby first, too. Only I didn't end up with the father, and that's okay. My life has been so much better because of it.

    It'll all work out, if you have faith. I really believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need to talk, PLEASE do not hesitate to email me (you can DM me on Twitter and I'll give it to you.) This makes me want to cry (ok, I might actually be crying for you as I type this.) I'm so sorry you're going through this.

    I see so much of my mom and her situation in you. I see how I grew up HATING my father because he was irresponsible (among other things) and how he upset my mom so much.

    You are in easily one of the toughest situations imaginable. But you will get through it. No matter what happens, you will have a beautiful baby, you will live your life, and everything will be fine. Will it be hard? Yes. Will you cry even more? Yes. But will it be worth it? Absolutely.

    Like I said, if you need to talk to a "neutral" party, please email me. While I may not know exactly what you're going through, I know what it's like to be the kid you're about to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenell--an email is on the way. Hang in there. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids have the best insight sometimes. Hang in there, and just know that things will work out for the best! I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just focus on getting that baby born nice and healthy, and the rest will happen how it has to. How God plans it! I love the way Chrissy says it in the first part she wrote. Just keep going and the right way will be shown to you, and you can always email me!!!

    ReplyDelete