Substance

Substance

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I look up to my younger sister

I was scared to tell my mom about my pregnancy, I told her I was moving to Indy and that was big enough for her to deal with. I was leaving her and going to start my own family with a man I had known for 4 months. How quick things had changed for me. I was 27 and still nervous about telling my mom. I was nervous for myself, a baby, a child, is a HUGE responsibility.

My sister (C - technically step-sister), was much different. She fell in love at 14, her high school sweetheart, he broke her heart so much. She needed the love, seeked it out like me. She cried and there was always drama, the relationship was so rough on her. I tried to talk to her, but I myself wasn't good at the few relationships I had, plus I was in college and going out to parties and having my own fun.

She told our Dad she was pregnant on his birthday, via text message. My mother called me that night telling me she was proud of me and told me of C's pregnancy. My heart broke for her, so young, not in a healthy relationship, why would she throw away all that for a baby?! She had so much time, he had just graduated high school, she's was going to be senior in high school, be off to college the next year, but that changed. She told me she forgot to take her pills, I told her boyfriend she forgot and to be careful, both of them to be careful. It came out that they were trying to get pregnant, they wanted to have a baby.

I couldn't understand, I didn't understand. My niece was born two days before my sister's 18th birthday. C moved in with her boyfriend, into an apartment of their own. She lived there a couple months after the baby was born then moved into my older brother's house, but her and Ron kept a relationship, their relationship, with all the drama, fighting and love that two young people have. Soon after, C was on her own, raising a baby and doing a fantastic job (much to our surprise). She loved that baby girl with her whole heart, she was/still is overprotective, but she gives up so much just to raise my niece.

She is 20, going to college now, working, raising a two year old. Ron wasn't much part of her life and when he was, C fought with him. C still did such a great job at raising K. I remember when I told her I was pregnant, that I hoped to be as great a mom as she is and she started crying. No one in the family had told her that before, it was hard, everything she had to deal with. Still she sucks it up and raises her baby.

Her true strength was shown this summer. Ron died. An accident, sudden, quick, permanent. I now look back and wonder if Ron knew maybe his time was going to end early, maybe he thought he wouldn't have another chance. My sister, his first and (quite possibly) only love, was the only one capable of handling this beautiful little girl, teaching her, helping her, showing her. She does such a great job.

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.” - Unknown

3 comments:

  1. How terrible that your niece would lose her daddy at such a young age.

    It's been my experience that being a mom usually forces us to grow up and be responsible. Even though she's young, it doesn't surprise me at all that your sister is such a good mother. It's instinctual, for most of us. For the others? Well, I wish they wouldn't even have babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing story. I'm so sorry that your niece lost her father. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much your step sister has been through. But it sounds like you're right, she is a wonderful inspiration.

    Also you need to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete