Substance

Substance

Monday, January 3, 2011

Being Mommy

I know I have lacked posts and I tried to stay in touch, but the majority of my day is dedicated to my new bundle of joy and the remaining time is spent sleeping, eating, and cleaning (myself/house)... usually in that order. Grace has been such a joy, I never ever thought I could/would be THIS MUCH in love with her. It hasn't been easy peasy, it has been a challenge, it has pushed me when I didn't want to get up, it has frustrated me when she cries after I put her in her bassinet or anywhere other than human arms. It has been painful, not the recovery from giving birth, but the breastfeeding!

I can say now I am glad I stuck with it, I'm glad I pushed through when it felt like my nipple was going to fall off, for us, it's so much easier (and cheaper) to whip out a boob instead of making a bottle. Grace has taken to it and I love when she gets "robin's mouth," she looks like a little birdy looking for her food. She gets an adorable, surprised look on her face when she latches and does those first few sucks. It was tough, those first few weeks, the pain was ridiculous, I cringed each time she woke up hungry.

With Grace turning one month and my birthday coming up, I was hoping I could pump to enjoy a night out with friends and a few cocktails, but I didn't have much luck with that. I bought a manual pump and tried it after I fed her in the morning and pumped a half ounce. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

We are so blessed to have a healthy, beautiful baby girl. I am so glad she is such a great baby, we think she is so good so she persuades us to have another one (not anytime soon). She's had good poops and wet diapers (what the doctor and nurses ask about). I've already had to cut her out of a onesie due to a diaper blow out, there was really no easy way to get her out of it. Grace did get baby acne, she still has it, but it doesn't bother her. She liked having a bath, but not her hair washed. I kept her cord scab, I can't bring myself to throw it out.

As easy as it is to say that I would like to go out, the reality has been it's so hard to leave her. What if she needs her mommy? What if I miss something? For now I'll enjoy my babe. I've been told it goes so fast and it seems like it already is!

5 comments:

  1. So regarding the pumping, breastfed boobs typically have a hard time pumping a lot, the pumps never correctly mimic the suck of an infant. BUT, if you want to pump more, always do it first thing in the morning. If Grace (I didn't know what her name was!) only feeds from one side, pump the other one if not at the same time, immediately after, that way you catch it when it's at the highest quantity (first AM) and after letdown.

    Also, I totally kept her stump. it's in her baby book. But I'm gross. :)

    I have yet to leave Piper with anyone other than Paul, so I can't say A WORD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:

    1) This mom has posted a lot about breastfeeding and pumping (read her archives) and I have always found her posts really informative, even though I'm not a mom yet! Maybe you'll glean some good tips from there! http://julia-transition.blogspot.com/

    2) You stole my baby name. Nope, I'm just kidding, but we want a Grace too (it's my grandma's name!. :) Good choice, she looks like a Grace! Do you call her Gracie, too?

    Congrats again lady, we're so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have zero advice for you, but it sounds like motherhood is treating you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY breastfeeding!!! I know tons of moms have problems with it. That's great that you stuck with it! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was just the post I needed to read today - breastfeeding is so hard at times that I feel just like you were feeling those first few weeks. I just keep telling myself that I've already worked this hard to keep it going, I'm not giving up yet!

    ReplyDelete